Translate

Friday, June 5, 2020

courage in the face of fear

The past few months in my life have been characterized by an interesting combination of obstacles and opportunities. The local stay-at-home mandate found me working from home and missing the structure and routine of driving into the office everyday. Even though I lean strongly toward the introverted end of the scale, I started to miss my weekly gatherings with my church family and the wonderful hugs we exchanged to greet each other. Even though I believed (and still believe) that Jesus has healed me completely of brain cancer, I started to feel some fear creep in regarding my immune system's ability to fight off COVID-19 - how careful did I need to be? Was I part of the "vulnerable" population?

As my time of working remotely from home is quickly nearing the end, I'm realizing I've experienced many milestones during this time. After four years of being on staff here at All Nations Kansas City, I finally signed up for our three-week intensive church planting training (CPx) that our hub is holding June 7-June 27. I had never signed up before because I was afraid that the time commitment would be too much for me, as I have struggled with stamina and energy levels since radiation and chemotherapy at the end of 2017. Please pray for all the students and me during this training!

This past week I went in for my periodic brain MRI (which I had postponed by over a month due to my concerns about being at a health clinic at the height of COVID-19). My oncologist was pleased with the results, that there had been no changes on my scans for over two years (which was when I finished my chemotherapy treatment). This means that the plan is for me to continue getting MRIs every six months for the next few years, at which point I'll be able to elect to get them just once a year. These two milestones involved me doing something new, even though I was scared and, in some cases, terrified. Scared of failure, rejection, bad news. I think that this is a bit what courage looks like - acknowledging fears and stepping out in faith anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment