Translate

Friday, June 5, 2015

someday...

If you know me or follow me on social media, you have probably figured out that I am passionate about supporting students. I especially cheer on students who are the first in their families to be graduating from high school or college.

I have been SO excited because students have been reaching out to me through Facebook and other means to ask for help in getting ready for college, applying for scholarships, getting more involved in the community, and finding jobs.

I recently spent an hour or so looking for potential local scholarships for a student to apply for. As I read through the descriptions of the scholarships, I started to notice a theme. Many of the scholarships were named in memory of a student who had died before he/she had reached his/her potential. Other scholarships were named after individuals who had dedicated their lives to education.

One of my life goals is to begin a college scholarship fund. (I've already started a high school one without setting out to do it.) I'm obviously passionate about education, but I don't want this to be named after me. This isn't about me at all. I also don't want this to be completed post-humously.

As I was reading through these scholarship funds, I started asking myself, what would be the criteria for my scholarship? I would want it to be available to those who are often overlooked, not at the top of their class. Maybe those who don't have a lot of extracurricular involvement because they are helping support their families.

For now, I don't have the means or the influence to start a scholarship fund. But I will continue to support students and great programs like the Hispanic Development Fund.

One of my favorite things is to read scholarship essays, especially ones that describe a student's story. They inspire me to never give up. Their stories and perseverance give me hope for the future. These students are going to change the world for the better. It has been such a privilege to have helped some of them apply for scholarships and to have helped them sign up for college.

No comments:

Post a Comment