Translate

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

a moment of mindfulness and gratitude

I have given up complaining for Lent. This has been harder than I thought it would be. I catch myself on the brink of complaining ALL THE TIME.

As a part of Lent, I have also been more intentional about recognizing the positive choices I've been making toward self-care. One way that I've been taking care of myself is through no longer speeding excessively while driving. (I have been guilty of this for years.) This has allowed me to not feel as stressed all the time.

I left work early today because I was feeling exhausted and really sick to my stomach. As I was driving home at a relaxed pace (no speeding!), I considered calling someone to complain about how terrible I was feeling. Instead, I focused my attention on the trees that lined the street bursting with white blossoms and the fluffy white clouds that filled the brilliant blue sky. I was overcome with wonder and awe at how beautiful this life could be. And this was but a glimpse into the beauty of our Creator. How could I so often miss these details? I instantly felt calm and didn't feel the pain in my stomach anymore. I had shifted all my attention from my pain to my gratitude and worship.

I would like to encourage you to try the same. The next time you are in a difficult situation, take a deep breath and focus on one thing that you are grateful for. It can be as simple as a text message received or the cool afternoon breeze. This attitude can change your entire life. It has changed mine. And I'll never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment