Translate

Thursday, July 8, 2021

mid-year reflection 2021

Every July I remind myself that though the year is half over, there are still six months left that have not yet been lived. After my personal prayer and planning retreat in January, I felt the Lord leading me to focus on “surrender” this year. Probably the biggest way I hoped to surrender was through beginning to intentionally observe a weekly 24-hour Sabbath. I decided to do so Friday evening through Saturday evening and told my parents in order to be held accountable. I realized that I would need to have a lot of grace for myself in this process – it would be a radical change to my lifestyle of overworking and packing my schedule with commitments. This is why I made it clear that I was just TRYING to incorporate Sabbath into my life. I knew there would be some failed attempts and some exceptions made.

As a “recovering perfectionist,” I must remember to aim for progress, not perfection. I’ve definitely made a lot of progress in trusting Him that six days is enough for work, but I admit that some weeks I mostly zone out on my Sabbath. Rest is only part of my intent with the Sabbath; I also desire to delight in Him and spend intentional time in prayer. 

I’m glad that I take this time to evaluate and reflect upon the first six months of the year – it helps me refocus and to determine the adjustments that I’d like to make in order to finish the year well.

I hope that this encourages you to reflect upon your own year and ask Him to help you finish the year well. Please remember to accept the grace that He has for you in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment