Translate

Friday, January 7, 2022

looking back - one huge blessing in 2021

One of the main themes I see as I look back on 2021 is how the Lord provided for me in unexpected ways. The example I’m sharing requires a bit of backstory so that you can appreciate how unexpected this was for me. Back in summer 2019 I was nominated to join a cohort of faith and community leaders that care about public school education and would meet monthly. I was excited to join the cohort, primarily to learn from other great community leaders in the KC area. When we were given the option to add a second year to the fellowship, I jumped at the chance to continue learning. In February, I was paired in a Zoom breakout room with S (a woman I’d never met before who worked with college scholarship recipients), and I instantly felt a connection with her – we seemed to have similar passions for working with Latino youth and families. S hadn’t been in the first year of my cohort, and I asked her if we could exchange contact information with the hopes of following up to get to know each other more at a later time.

S and I eventually had a coffee date over Zoom and then another in person. I soon found out that she was also a passionate Jesus follower, which is probably why I felt such a close connection with her the first time we met (even though it was online!). She and I both had desires to work on personal “passion” projects - I suggested that we set up a weekly time to meet at the library to work on our respective projects and to hold each other accountable. We put a weekly standing date on our calendars. This time we carved out quickly evolved into a time to share life and to pray over each other. Near the end of last year, I told S that I couldn’t believe we had only met 10 months prior because we had grown so close! S told me that she had been praying for and desiring a close friend for a long time, and I realized I had been as well. We were the answers to each other’s prayers. I never would’ve guessed that an education fellowship could’ve led to me forming such a dear friendship that I didn’t even recognize that I’d wanted and needed for a long time.

I have so many other examples of how the Lord has provided for me in unexpected ways in 2021, and I’m sure you have some as well. May this encourage you to reflect upon last year and to take time to thank Him for the ways He’s provided for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment